POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light beam, laser, noise... : Re: Light beam, laser, noise... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light beam, laser, noise...
From: Pierre-Étienne Messier
Date: 28 Feb 2003 22:03:50
Message: <3e602316$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the fast answer !

Christopher James Huff wrote:
> It is not impossible to do the same way, it's just that there's a better
> way. Instead of multiple light sources or cylinders of glowing media,
> pov can simulate the paths photons actually travel through the scene.
> Look in the documentation for the photon mapping feature, and the
> optics.pov demo scene.

I think I'll look again at that example, I already saw it before and I
think that's what I need but I didn't understood it at first.

> The best way is to do things like use normals and grainy patterns, and
> otherwise try to get dirty textures. There are ways to add a flat noise
> to the image, but it does not make the scene itself look more real, it
> is more of a film effect.

I think the flat noise effect is what I am looking for.  A picture worth
thousands of words, so :

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9743

The pics are not from me and are not done in PovRay, but that's the
effect I am looking for.